Chronic Absenteeism = A Barrier to Learning
Did you know? Chronic absenteeism affects a student’s ability to read on grade level and move through the academic pipeline successfully. This is defined as missing 10% of school days (18 days-excused or unexcused), which is the equivalent of 2 days per month.
As NKYEC Action Team 1 is focused on reducing barriers to learning, a regional Attendance Team has been developed to focus on strategies to improve overall student attendance. This team is comprised of school administrators, Family Resource Coordinators, Directors of Pupil Personnel and community agency representatives.
As part of the national Campaign for Grade Level Reading, the Attendance Team collaborates with national partner Attendance Works. Attendance Works is a national and state initiative that promotes awareness of the important role that school attendance plays in achieving academic success starting with school entry. Their goal is to ensure that every school district not only tracks chronic absence data, but also partners with families and community agencies to intervene when attendance is a problem for children or particular schools.
As a partner of the Early Grade Level Reading Campaign, Attendance Works has free resources, tools and technical assistance for monitoring, understanding, and addressing chronic absence for:
- Teens and Their Families
- After School Providers
- Early Education Providers
- Health Care Providers
- City Leaders
Additional resources developed by the Attendance Team to support schools with attendance initiatives:
- Attendance Messages (in written and audio formats) to promote the importance of attendance on school newsletters, message boards, “all-call” phone systems and parent/family communications [LIST][AUDIO1] [AUDIO2]
- Monthly Communication Calendar (with theme and attendance-related resource for school utilization to expand attendance program)
- Resource sharing - Open Airways (asthma education) Program
The Attendance Team is currently partnering with 11 Northern Kentucky elementary schools to improve school attendance through expanded awareness, data monitoring, comprehensive attendance strategies, and family intervention.
Current Partner Districts/Schools
- Covington/Ninth District, Sixth District
- Grant/Crittenden-Mt. Zion, Mason Corinth, Sherman
- Kenton/White’s Tower
- Silver Grove/Silver Grove Elementary
Do you want to join our work?
Join the Attendance Team
Share Attendance Best Practices
Contact us at 859.282.9214 for more information.